A British court has barred a man from having a dog for three years after his Labrador puppy was discovered drunk.
Matthew Cox had been drinking vodka and coke with his roommate on August 22 when he left his glass on the floor to go for a smoke.
He returned to find that his six-month-old dog, Max, had swallowed the booze.
But he left the animal at home, and prosecutor Maria Moore told Nottingham Magistrate's Court in central England that the puppy was later spotted staggering and falling over near Cox's home.
Police were called and took the dog to an emergency vet, where it was put on a drip to flush the alcohol out of its system.
Magistrate J A Smith called the incident "downright stupid".
The puppy has since been given a new home.
This begs the question; How on earth does a puppy develop the taste for an alcoholic beverage?
Mind you, having asked that, I have noticed over the years, some of my mates have had dogs which have had a tendency to consume all manner of matter (organic or not), at quite an express speed.