About Me

Cambridge, Waikato, New Zealand
Otago man living in the Waikato.

Saturday 14 September 2013

A Man For All Seasons: A Post Mortem of Sir Thomas More.


A fantastic season of this great play (by Robert Bolt) has drawn to a close.

Performed by members of the Cambridge Repertory Society.

Directed by Dave Stearns

At the Gaslight Theatre, Cambridge, New Zealand.

I went  along to audition for a part, back in June. Dave offered me the part of Chapuys' Attendant, which I enthusiastically grabbed with both hands. This part had a grand total of 8 lines - which made learning my lines a cinch! This gave me plenty of time to work on my visual acting and develop my delivery.

Most scenes I appeared in, were in a non-speaking capacity, as an apprentice, in support of Eustace Chapuys (played by Michael Cole).

Behind the scenes, my role as Chapuys' apprentice also took on another dimension, as I was asked by Dave Stearns to be Chapuys' understudy! This was a contingency plan, just in case Michael was called away at short notice - due to family illness. I learnt all of Chapuys' lines in about 3-4 days!

Fortunately, Michael's relative appeared to remain in a stable state of health. Since I had learnt Chapuys' part, Dave Stearns and Mike kindly offered me the opportunity to play Signor Chapuys for 3 of the performances. As I had only started learning Chapuys' part, a fortnight prior to opening night, I was still in the throes of developing my delivery. I can't help but wonder how much better I could have delivered this part, had I some more time. I still managed to get the job done, ... and I was very grateful for the opportunity.

The acting by the cast was incredibly superb. Everyone suited their roles to a tee.

Some memorable moments:

Dave Moore (who played Thomas Cromwell) injured his back, and required crutches for a few days. He adapted his role of Thomas Cromwell  by accessorizing hinself with a tudor style walking stick - which he continued to use on stage, even when his back had recovered. He was so convincing in the role, that you could have sworn that he really did threaten like a dockside bully!

In one performance, The Common Man (played by Jason Lonsdale) inadvertently introduced Cardinal Thomas Cranmer (played by Ben  Corcoran) as the Archbishop of  Cranberry! This was obviously a portmanteau of 'Cranmer' and 'Canterbury'. Poor Dave Stearns (who played the main role of Sir Thomas More) was trying hard not to laugh - whilst languishing in a jail cell on centre stage!

The Common Man also had to overcome an extraordinary level  of onstage multi-tasking - i.e.  shifting chairs, tables, baskets. lighting candles and pouring drinks, whilst simultaneously delivering his lengthy monologues. A tough ask for any guy.

Richard Ritch (played by Ryan Wolf Holden) appeared in one showing, substituting a misplaced quill with his finger! Darn missing props!

King Henry VIII's (played by Ben Corcoran) delivery of "I have no Queen!" was so impassionate. I can still hear that line echoing off the hills around the Waipa region!

Sir Thomas More (played by Dave Stearns) had far more dialogue than everyone else, yet Murphy's Law stipulated that he must be the one to incur a hoarse voice, due to his efforts in holding off a cold. Coincidentally, it was well documented that Sir Thomas More struggled with an on-going cold, so I guess this just authenticated Dave's superb characterisation of Sir Thomas even further.


Eustace Chapuys' (played by Michael Cole) would occasionally insert substitute lines to replace the ones which had simply evaded his memory! His references to Queen Catherine as "Queen Anne", King Henry as "King John" and describing Latin as an "angelic language" in lieu of a holy language raised a few chuckles. Apparently, Bishop Fisher of Rochester ended up also being known as Bishop Fisher of Rockhampton!

Cardinal Thomas Wolsey (played by Peter Carr) was often dealing with unruly candles which would extinguish prematurely ,... oh, and who can forget the 21st century gas lighter gun, used by The Common Man!

 Did I have a clean slate in all this? No way! My crimes were mostly committed backstage.

I inadvertently put on William Roper's (played by Steve McMurray) shoes, prior to an earlier performance. You'd think that after receiving one good reprimand by Steve, I'd have leant my lesson well. But oh no, prior to the peultimate performance, I graduated to inadvertently targeting William Roper again by putting on his t-shirt. Luckily for me, Steve is not of a homicidal disposition!

I just want to say a huge thanks to Dave Stearns for giving me the great opportunity to be a part of this play. And thanks to everyone in the cast and crew for all your support, fun and friendship.



No comments: